New Orleans, Royal Street Antique Gallery Expands European Inventory

Gallery expanded to over 20,000 feet of show space to accommodate these precious European treasures

New Orleans, LA — The French Antique Shop, located at 225 Royal Street, has recently opened an expanded showroom, immediately adjacent to its present location.

The new showroom increases the display area of antique furnishings at the French Antique Shop to more than 20,000 square feet.

According to Henry Granet, proprietor, “The demand for European antiques in America has grown dramatically, and we, too, must expand our display and storage areas for these unique and historic home furnishings.”

The French Antique Shop specializes in crystal and fine-cut glass chandeliers, gold-leaf and decorative mirrors, statuary and indoor fountains, fireplace mantels, decorative porcelains, and furniture, such as dining room sets, breakfronts and sideboards, clocks, fine wood tables, and other home furnishing accessories.

All merchandise is imported from Europe, with many items undergoing renovation, refurbishment, and repair in the Shop’s atelier.

The Shop serves clients throughout the United States, the Pacific Rim and Latin and South America.

Granet added, “We have, from time to time, experienced a definite decline in our ability to obtain fine merchandise. So, when these items do become available, we must be in a position to place them in our facility and display them. This new area will allow us to continue to offer a wide variety of very special merchandise.”

The French Antique Shop was founded in 1927 in Paris by Marie and Marcel Granet, parents of Henry Granet and Nicole Granet Friedlander, and grandparents of Marc Friedlander, all current owners.

In 1939, prior to the outbreak of the Second World War, Marie and Marcel came to America, planning to re-establish their antiques business in Houston, Texas. During a stopover in New Orleans, the Granets fell in love with New Orleans and the French Quarter and they proceeded no further on their journey.

They moved to their present 225 Royal Street location in 1947. The shop’s building is over 200 years old, befitting an operation that specializes in first-quality, antiques.

This entry was posted in Press. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.